Thursday, April 21, 2011

I LOVE the 70's!

  I guess it’s strange to characterize my feelings for the 1970’s as nostalgic, given that I never experienced the decade first-hand, but no other word seems to capture my longing to experience that brief moment in time. Almost every aspect of the 70’s popular culture intrigues me; from the fashion to the movies, to the music, even the advertising. 

Taxi Driver

Led Zep



Bianca Jagger's backstage pass and platforms

The 70’s yielded some all-time sartorial highs and lows. There were high-waisted bell bottoms, caftans, fringe, platform shoes and those slinky halter dresses. But then there was also polyester, and all its clingy, synthetic ‘glory’. And honestly the vast majority of the menswear produced during that decade pretty much horrifies me.
WTF

Yves Saint Laurent's orginal 




Emilio Pucci's revamp

















This spring and summer the hits of the 70’s are back, and I don’t mean on the radio. In 2011, designers such as Diane Von Furstenberg, Elie Saab, Halston, Emilio Pucci and Yves Saint Laurent all show their own take on the decade. style.com features these designers in their round up of 70’s inspired looks and finds the muse for this trend in YSL’s innovative and legendary 1970’s collections.

 The tricky thing about revisiting fashion trends from decades past is assembling an outfit that doesn’t look costume-y. Vogue.com  has a shopping guide that I feel can serve as (expensive) inspiration for future shopping wish lists. I adore shopbop.com because they not only sell all the most drool-worthy duds, but they create their own lookbooks for the season’s hottest trends. 

I think with this trend the most accessible pieces would include flattering high-waisted flared jeans in a dark wash, a pair of tall, yet slouchy, stacked-heel boots, an ethnic-print or white tunic top and some oversized round or aviator sunglasses. I wouldn’t suggest wearing all these things at once, but that’s not really my call.

For those of you who want to revel in all the glory that is 70’s fashion, may I suggest a tie-neck blouse in a geometric print or bold color, a pair of obscenely high platform heels, or a slinky, almost knee-length dress that makes you feel like the diva you are. Another note: you will most likely need a waist-cinching belt to accent your curves and effectively accessorize.
This trend has me beyond stoked for summer and this song makes me want to frolic in a grassy field wearing an outfit inspired by the 70's.
 

Thanks for reading and enjoy the pics of my favorite 1970’s fashion icons! 
Farrah Fawcett



Faye Dunaway
 
Stevie Nicks

Cher




1 comment:

  1. Ana: This is much improved. As someone who survived the 70s, I enjoyed your fashion take. You've included lots of good links, and the photos are relevant, although I'd argue you have too many of them. Note that "the 1970s" and "the 70s" don't take an apostrophe (AP style)--they're not possessive. Score = 9

    ReplyDelete